Meet the Team
Cathy Wiggins and Olivia Wiggins
(Photo Credit: Bonnie McCaffery)
About Gypsy Wood Leathers
Gypsy Wood Leathers was founded in 2016 by Cathy Wiggins to bring leather quilting to both the quilting and crafting industries. Passionate about working with leather, Cathy spent five years sourcing the best leathers and supplies to bring this art form to the market.
Since its inception, Gypsy Wood Leathers has expanded to offer project kits, instructional USBs, additional leather lines, and wholesale as of 2019. With this expansion, Cathy has brought on her daughter, Olivia to help run the business. With a mind for organization and detail, Olivia runs the daily operations and website, while Cathy focuses on creative endeavors and dreaming up new products.
Gypsy Wood Leathers is creating a new market unique from both the quilting and leather crafting industries! As a pioneer of a new art form, we recognize there is a need for education to show how to use the leather on any machine. As such, Cathy teaches both nationwide and internationally. However in order to keep up with the demand for classes, Gypsy Wood Leathers has developed a teacher certification program with certified teachers across the US, Canada, and the UK.
Where does the name come from?
A true family business, the name of the business is to honor Cathy’s parents. Gypsy was the name of her mother’s horse, and Wood represents her dad’s woodworking. Both horses and wood grain are elements in many of Cathy's designs.
- Retrospective exhibition covering 15 years of quilting, 2015 Machine Quilting Expo
- Feature Artist, 2016 Road to California Quilt Show
- Just for Fun Exhibition, 2016 Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival
- Cowboys, Horses, Quilting and Leather Exhibition, 2016 IQA Houston Quilt Festival
- Against the Grain Exhibition, 2017 International Quilt Museum and Study Center, Lincoln, NE
- Quilted Art Saddles Exhibition, 2018 IQA Houston Quilt Festival
Visit her personal website at www.cathywiggins.com to view her art work and quilted saddles!